Creative Nonfiction Outline

Jax Xhabrahmi 

English 11000

Ms. Crystal Rodwell

CNF Outline

Introduction:  Oxford Languages defines identity as “the characteristics determining who or what a person or thing is.” While this definition does capture the basic meaning of an identity, it seems dull. One’s identity includes the elements that surround them and contribute to what distinguishes them from others. These elements can have a physical, psychological, and emotional impact on said person’s identity. The factors that contribute to my identity are the relationships in my life, the sports I enjoy playing, the music I listen to, and the media I engage with. 

Section 1 Relationship- Family/ friends: 

Key words: Diligent and outgoing 

Topic sentence: A factor that contributes to my identity is the relationships with my family and friends in my life; they impacted my life by making me diligent and outgoing. 

Family: My parents both came from not so fortunate families and so for them to leave Albania to come New York in the early 2000s with no support and having to workday-in and day-out to give my sister and I to have a better life than they had is what makes me a diligent person.  

Friends: From having short-term friends that would cycle out every time the new year begins or from moving around, I was not able to open to anybody. To where going into my sophomore year of high school I found a group that lets me be comfortable and able to explore new things with is how they impacted my life into being outgoing. 

Section 2 Sports: 

Key words: Appreciation, bonding, and taking criticism 

Topic sentence: The second factor that contributes to my identity is sports, from playing basketball, volleyball or even working out they have impacted my life to helping me taking criticism, bonding, and having appreciation. 

Taking criticism: Coming from a family that did not take a liking to basketball, I didn’t have that much exposure. So, when I first started playing, I usually never the first pick in PE basketball. But from going to school and having others telling me on how to improve and develop my skills; to where now I’m confident at basketball skills and being able to take criticism to help me grow.  

Bonding: Sports has also helped me with bonding more with my family and friends. My parents’ favorite sport when growing up was volleyball so naturally they passed down their interest to me and taught a young Jax the basic on how to play. From them teaching me how to play volleyball, I then started including that interested of volleyball to my friends to where they adopted a new hobby. From including them to an interest of mine, we spent the better half of our senior year going to the park and peppering.  

Appreciation: The past year, I was introduced to working out by a close friend who has spent the majority of COVID learning all he can about working out. Seeing him develop from a kid that has never touched weight a day in his life to becoming a big and strong human being was remarkable to see that transformation. So, when beginning my working out arc, I figured he will teach me his workout split and then I will hopefully reach his of physical sooner than later. After consistently going to the gym for two months straight, I realized that it was not just throwing the weights around and then you will magically get muscles appearing. No, it took more than that, it took me learning the proper forms, the right pace for each exercise, and the discipline of going to the gym consistently which taught me appreciation of having someone having someone guide me. 

Section 3 Music: 

Topic sentence: The third factor to my identity is music, depending on the type of music or artist I am currently listening to, their impact can help enhance my emotions or help express how I’m feeling. 

If I’m feeling stressed, I will typically listen to calming music from artists like Giveon, Rex Orange County, Childish Gambino, and Kyle Dion. The style of music that these artists make is a mixture of r&b, indie/ hip hop.  

Or when I am feeling the most outgoing, confident/ easygoing version of myself I’ll listen to artists like Tyler the Creator, Kanye West, and Bruno Mars. Their style of hip hop, funk, and rap has the ability to have me and others to start singing and dancing. 

Section 4 Media: 

Topic sentences: With media being a massive communication tool that comes in multiple forms, it has been a factor to my identity helping me build stronger bonds and a work ethic.  

Dealing with the recent pandemic, it led my friends and I to find a way to connect with each other. With us starting to communicate with each other thought texting which then to having facetime calls, then later became us using discord. We have used discord for several things as in to play games, watching movies, and even doing homework together. It made being home all day easier and made my bonds with them a lot stronger.  

Conclusion:  From the impact of the relationship that I was born with and the ones that I find, or the impact of sport, music, and media on my life they have made my identity of being a diligent and an outgoing person. Sports also taught me how to take criticism to grow, how to bond with family and friends, and how to be appreciative. Music and media impact my identity by helping me elevate or express my emotions and develop a work ethic.